DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) is a genetic material present in each cell of the human body. The DNA of every individual is unique. A child takes half of the mother’s DNA and half of the father’s DNA. A paternity test is performed to determine if a person is a biological father of the kid. Generally, our genes are made two parts. The first half which the baby received from their mother and another half from their father. These tests are conducted on blood and tissue samples taken from both the father and the little one and then matched. When performed in an experience and specialized laboratories, the accuracy level of the result is nearly 100% percent.
These tests are usually undertaken for legal documentation in case of undergoing lawsuit regarding child’s custody, will, and estate issues, adaptation procedures, immigration requirement. One of the known companies who has been associated with legal state judiciary for legal assistance as well as offer other services like maternity test, immigration test, etc. is thednalab.com paternity test.
As per a study in www.people.com/, DNA examination and has given a breakthrough in many fields like forensic science, agriculture to enhance the quality of the crop, etc. Some of the uses of paternity testing which has proved to be beneficial to the society are:
• For research purposes- These studies can be used to trace and identify our ancestors and our origins. It is also used to study the origins of various other species on the earth. In some cases of lost loved once this can prove to be a very crucial way to find them out.
• To ensure the health status and potential risks which a newborn can face: Through the study of genes, doctors can identify for any genetic disorders which might have been passed through, and can timely start the cure.
• Helps in identifying hidden diseases like Cancer: Cancer, a deadly disease which slowly takes over the body silently and the person only realizes of its presence when it’s too late. Through DNA examination such hidden culprits can be identified at an early stage.
• To win legal battles: The legal DNA test results are considered as viable proofs in court. Hence the child custody cases can be strongly presented by getting the permission of DNA test.
The procedure followed in the paternity test involves:
1. The sample is collected by the collector in the presence of the guardian of the minor after completing all custody documentation formalities.
2. The sample is collected using small painless buccal swaps which are made of a special material called as Dacron. The swap is rubbed across the under cheek of the participant. The sample is similarly collected from each party.
3. The sample is then taken to the laboratory in a sealed, safe and tamper evident package.
4. The DNA is extracted from the Buccal swaps and is purified.
5. The extracted DNA is then put into a chemical solution to start the Polymerase chain reaction, which makes multiple copies of loci (specific locations in DNA) for study.
6. Based upon the PCR result genetic profile is designed and then matched with each other to determine the similarities.
Usually, it takes 48 hours from the time of sample collection to come out with the result of the DNA test. DNA test can also be performed on other types of samples like blood, hair follicles, semen and in case of prenatal testing by extracting fluid from the uterus of the mother.